Tuesday, October 15, 2019

We Level Books, NOT Readers

Friday was my last day at MCS, and today I start a new block at CCS. Thanksgiving weekend was lovely...We had a great time visiting with family and friends, and got our family pictures taken.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, tree, grass, plant, outdoor and nature

Anyway, it was wonderful. And to add to all that wonderfulness - the ILA Conference in New Orleans was live streaming many of their keynotes and speakers. 

I was able to hear talks by Dr. Pedro Noguera, Donalyn Miller, Tricia Ebarvia, Shawna Coppolla, Nell K. Duke, Sonia Cabell, and many other literacy experts. 

Donalyn Miller (author of The Book Whisperer, Reading in the Wild, ), spoke for an hour about the importance of book access and choice.

 Let me tell you, Donalyn does not hold any punches. And I love it. 

Some of the highlights:

-Students need "Book Floods" (school library, classroom library, public library, books at home)
-Stop charging students library fines
-We level books, not readers - students should NEVER identify themselves by the level they are reading. 
- Leveling of books in a classroom library is a privacy issue according to an ALA Position Statement: http://www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/resources/statements/labeling
- Students need books that are windows, mirrors and sliding glass doors. 
Image result for rudine sims bishop quotes

And then today, one of my Facebook friends tagged me in a post with this cartoon...She said it made her think of me.


I can't imagine why:)
-Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment